Windows 2000 not connecting or seeing two XP Machines,
Posted on 2005-04-26
This may have been answered, but I really haven't found the answer to my particular situation.
I have three computers connecting to a DSL router. Two XP machines, and one Windows 2000 machine. All machines are connected to a DSL router and hub. All three machines can connect to the internet.
The Win2000 machine cannot see the two other XP machines. The XP machines can see the shared folder on the Win2000 machine, but when clicked within My Shared Network Places, the prompt comes up that XP cannot connect and "you may not have permission, contact the administrator".
The Details: A shortcut made on one of the XP machines to the particular I.P. address of the Win2000 machine and that connation works fine, the folder that is shared is seen on the XP machine and can be accessed. But on the same XP machine when one goes to: Computers near me > the error mentioned about occurs. The Win2000 machine has NetBeui installed for some reason.. When browsing the network, only the 2000 machine is listed (itself). When I removed NetBeui the machine seems to see nothing at all in WORKGROUP.
* The XP machines are set to "Obtain IP address Automatically*
* The Win2000 machine is set to Use an IP Address 192.168.2.** Subnet 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.2.1
*** WHEN set to "Obtain IP Address Automatically" as are the XP boxes, the 2000 machine does not see the Workgroup or anything.
Steps so far taken:
* All three machines have the same network name: WORKGROUP.
* The firewall was turned off on one of the XP machines, (with no change)
* Obtain Address Automatically was enabled on the 2000 box didn't seem to work unless I needed to do something else..
* Again, all three machines can connect to the internet, but the two XPs do not connect to the 2000 and visa-versa.
* I renamed the 2000 box and that didn't help, changed it back and sometimes I see the old names I created in the "Computers near me" area.
What can I do to get these all working together?
Thanks for the help in advance.