I am running W2K with Office XP. When I open Outlook after logging on to the companyVPN, it won't connect. I have had a variety of error messages, including 0x8004011D error message, unable to open folders, etc..but now it is just failing to open without any message other than the red x to show that it is not connected.
I can ping the exchange server by IP but not by name. At one point I was able to re-add my profile and do a name check, but would always have to enter the IP address instead of the exchange name in order to retrieve my profile info. But Outlook will not open - ever. This is a clean reinstall and I have not added any programs with the exception of office xp and SP3.
I am ready to jump off my roof.
PS - also tried to open thru VPN on a dialup connection but failed. I had no trouble today when I took the laptop to the office and connected flawlessly.