Earlier this afternoon, I came across a very strange behaviour on a Windows Server 2003.
I renamed a few PCs(all Win XP) and tried to browse for the PCs on the Domain controller. The new names do appear on DNS, DHCP and in the Network Neighborhood(Entire Network). However, I cannot ping the PCs from the server by name or even by ip address. At the moment, the only thing that seems to be possible is ping between the 2 domain controllers.
On the other hand, the XP pcs can ping the 2 servers(DCs) but not anything else.
DNS is set to allow Dynamic updates(secure only)
When I did an nslookup(both on server and PC) the DNS server was being identified, but the PC name was not getting resolved. So I did an ipconfig /registerdns from the client PC and then retried nslookup. This time however, the pc name got resolved. But ping was not still possible.
The PCs can logon normally and I could not find any other visible problems
One other component in the network is an ISA server 2004. This is too long and unsure shot but I am going to try and stop ISA tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.
What still amazes me is the inability to ping ip address.
Has anyone here experienced this issue. Please throw some light.