We are migrating a MSDE based application from one machine to another. But we are having problems trying to open the database in the new machine.
1. First we did a cold backup from the old machine. The application is mounted on a fork lift, so access to the machine is complicated. But we manage to gather all the mdf and ldf files. We didn't sp_dettach though.
2. We found out that the application data are located in the original master database.
3. We installed the same MSDE version (or at less, pretty sure it's the same) on the target machine. The new installed MSDE system has its own master, model, etc.
4. We tried to start the new MSDE installation from the acquired master.mdf and ldf files, but it won't. MSDE complains about an object ID 8762964 missing in the catalog, and should run DBCC checktable on the database.
5. We tried to do a sp_attach of the acquired database, but MSDE complains about a problem in the file header: "Msg 5172 16,15: mastlog.ldf is not a valid file header. PageAudit property incorrect".
6. We did succesfully sp_attach another database (not the master) from the same old machine.
7. The machines are quiet different. The old machine is a Windows98 tablet PC and the new one is a WindowsXP Tablet PC edition.
8. The old MSDE installation was pretty ill mantained. For instance, the ldf file is 1.2 Gb long for a 250Mb mdf file. In fact, the idea to migrate the application was to provide a more constant access to the application.
Please help, what should be our next move? I don't want to go to the "guessing" phase, and if we are going back to the warehouse, we should have a plan.