I need an advice and might be couple pointers regarding to C# .NET project.
I have to design insurance management system for small insurance agency.
Since I have never done financial application I need some advice how to approach this project.
Here is very broad project description
The agency has 3 branches and they want to be able access customer data from all locations. Currently they have about 10 workstation and 12 users more or less, and over 100 clients. However, they are growing and it going to be more clients at least this is what they are saying. They have 3 branches, but at this point of time project it going to be implemented only for one office. After that they want connect another two offices.
Wish list :
- user authorization : two main type of user : super user with rights to modify data and regular user only with rights to prepare reports without rights to save, or update customer data or policy data.
- preparing payment schedule for their customers
- reporting system (
- keep tracking policy expiration date
- keep tracking customer payments
- quote policy
There is one more important thing for them, when they take down payment from customer they are obligated to return money to insurance company in 25 days for individual customers and 14 for business customers.
They want to be able keep down payment money as long it is possible so they have to keep tracing these dates too. Otherwise they will be in trouble and pay some fine.
Should I do this as Desktop application or ASP.NET.
I’m worried about performance of ASP, the system will have to generate a lot of reports so wouldn’t be better to generate these reports on client side instead of IIS side. I could grab some data from database and process it with the client. What do you think?
I might be mistaken but in my opinion Windows Forms have more flexibility over ASP,
What about hardware for desktop application:
I have following options:
- Linux plus MySql
- Linux plus Oracle 10g
- Windows plus Oracle 10g
- Windows plus SQL2000 (it is possible but it might be too expensive configuration for this project, budget is very tight)