SQL Server Connection problems
Posted on 2005-05-03
First, thanks for taking time to help with this.
- Relatively new Dell 2850 Server - RAID 5
- MS Small Business Server 2003 Premium (has SQL Server Standard with it)
- Accessing server remotely (behind firewall) using MS Remote Desktop mmc
- No SQL server database has been created - we're just starting out getting it setup
I have had problems connecting locally (while 'remoting') to the default database. At one point I was able to successfully connect and stay connected. I then went into the properties of the default database from the Enterprise Manager and tried changing the authentication mode from Windows Only to Mixed Mode. After I made the change, I clicked OK and got the following error after a few seconds:
A connection could not be established to (Local)
Reason: Invalid Connection.
Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties
(by right-clicking on the (Local) node) and try again.
I performed the recommended action by the error message and set the registration properties as follows:
(Local) node registration properties are:
"Use SQL Server Authentication" is selected (I tried changing back to "Use Windows Authentication" and get the same error as above)
Under the "Options" section ...
- Group selected is - SQL Server Group (created by installation)
- Display SQL server state in console is checked
- Show system databases and system objects is checked
- Automatically start SQL Server when connecting is checked
At this point, everything I do to connect or change the database's properties results in the error message above.
Worth mentioning ... when I had the connection working, I tried to upsize an Access database to the SQL Server. I tried doing that from a computer that was logged onto the server but using an account that is not a member of the domain (basically in Workgroup mode). When the Upsizing Wizard tried connecting to the database, I got the same error on the machine I was upsizing from. That's why I was changing to Mixed Mode.
We do need to get this going ASAP as this is a critical project.
Thanks for your help!