1. I have just added a brand new Dell machine WIN XP Pro SP2 to an existing workgroup of 7 computers, most of them WIN XP Pro SP2.
2. On this new computer (I will call it computer A), when I try to view other computers through Network Neighbourhood I can only see my own computer and not the other 7. Even tried accessing another computer using
3. On this computer A I can connect to the Internet without any problems.
Private ip addresses on all computers are handled by a router which is taking care of DHCP and NAT services for all workgroup computer including Internet access. No issues here.
4. On computer A, I can even access shares from another computer WIN XP Pro (I will call it computer B) using andrun an application that exists on computer B, however only by IP address.
5. On computer A, I can only map a drive to a share on computer B, but only using ip address not by it's
6. Not sure what's going on here. I thought of LMHOSTS file but that is something that I never had to worry about in WIN XP networking workgroups. The rest of the machines I added to this workgroup in the past without any problems and work OK. None of this is happening on any other machines.
7. One thing to note, I did not install WIN XP Pro on this new machine. It came pre-installed. All I had to do was to start the machine, go through some configurational questions and next, next, next....and it was finished. Not sure what caused this unusual problem. I looked at Microsoft File and Printer sharing and it's there and seems to be OK. Normally, this should be a no-brainer.