Backup Exec procedure
Posted on 2005-05-04
As before, we have around 250G data (mailboxes + data) for daily full backup by tape drive through Vertias Backup Exec 8.6. (200G tape size, totally two tapes for each day, without auto loader).
In case, we must not accept the long time full backup in daily. So we intend to get a new backup schedule by Differential or Incremental.
Mon-Fri (Differential or Incremental)
Sat (Full backup)
However, we have a few problems for our new plan.
1. After we have run Full backup on Sat (by two tapes), if we run Differential or Incremental schedule on coming Mon-Fri,
- the differential data or incremental data will be appended on the second tapes ?
- the differential data or incremental data will be appended on one new tape only?
- the differential data or incremental data will be appended on the different new tapes ? I mean Monday’s Differential on Monday Tape, Tuesday's Differential on Tuesday Tape ?
2. The backup data is included "Mailbox" (Exchange) and data (File Server), but the mailboxes are also restored by Differential or Incremental method ?
3. Differential or Incremental, which one is the best one for a large amount of data ? Even just found another method - "Daily" – Files That Changed Today ?, is it also a good choice ?
4. If we restore a file from backup..
e.g. restore a file on Thu.
- Put latest Full backup tape
- And then put Mon, Tue, Wed, and Thu Tapes in sequence, right ?
Thanks help !