Electrical power quality monitoring equipment required.

Posted on 2005-05-04
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2010-04-26
I require a good quality voltage monitoring device that can be plugged into an outlet so I can monitor the power quality that my computers are plugged into.  Preferably I would like this to be plugged into a network port so it can send packet information to my computer in real time and come with a software package to interpret the data and display it.

Any suggestions on equipment that's available (web links or items available at big box electronics stores such as Radio Shack, Best Buy etc)
Question by:lundca

Expert Comment

ID: 13929438
While i don't have any specific product for you. I can say that some of the higher end UPS(Uninteruptiable power supply) do have this functionality built into them. Cost should be around $250-$400
LVL 13

Expert Comment

ID: 13929781
This one is close, the main thing is that a UPS will deliver the corrrect voltages at all times, plus if you have a power failure in your home or office, it will shut down an unattended system without losing data.

The software has onscreen monitering, you can also plugin a a standard telephone line or DSL, and has Ethernet in and out for extra protection.

This one costs at this site $127.60, but most likely can be found cheaper by shopping around (one similar).  I have not used my PC, Monitor, Ethernet or Printer without a UPC in 10 years.  It has save my bottom more times than I know, especially working on a long program, and the power go down.


It also has: 2-year manufacturer warranty, and $200,000 ultimate lifetime insurance
LVL 14

Expert Comment

ID: 13931895
You need a "Smart" UPS with AVR(automatic voltage regulation)...these are fairly expensve but prevent damage caused by brown outs and spikes not just outages. A Smart UPS will provide smart signaling as mentioned by Diane, and only an UPS with AVR will achieve voltage regulation. Communication between the UPS is generally via the PC(Serial port or USB port). Many units can be configured to e-mail and even call a pager when detecting problems. (networking also)
This is a reliable company and product in my humble opinion. I whole heartedly agree with wlennon, as I don't plug in without a clean, regulated and protected power source. Hardware related issues are reduced dramatically.
If you believe that the public electric utility gives you clean reliable power at the correct voltage and frequency...you probably still believe in the tooth fairy.
Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!


Accepted Solution

rudy_bagga earned 500 total points
ID: 13932216
The people who really care about power quality monitoring use equipment from Dranetz.   http://www.dranetz-bmi.com/ 

I am guessing that these systems are a bit more than what you are asking for but it is a good place to start.

Expert Comment

ID: 13941624
we sell energy monitoring devices.
please visit <link Removed> for usa/cn customers. Click on products, then power quality.

Author Comment

ID: 13969076
Thanks rudy, good link - exactly what I was looking for.

Expert Comment

ID: 13983802
I appologise about this. But this is one of the solution that can be used. I am not working for the usa/canada side, and made no profit from any sales.


Featured Post

Free Tool: ZipGrep

ZipGrep is a utility that can list and search zip (.war, .ear, .jar, etc) archives for text patterns, without the need to extract the archive's contents.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way to say thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Monitor input from a computer is usually nothing special.  In this instance it prevented anyone from using the computer.  This was a preconfiguration that didn't work.
On September 18, Experts Exchange launched the first installment of the Help Bell, a new feature for Premium Members, Team Accounts, and Qualified Experts. The Help Bell will serve as an additional tool to help teams increase question visibility.
This Micro Tutorial will teach you how to add a cinematic look to any film or video out there. There are very few simple steps that you will follow to do so. This will be demonstrated using Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.
We’ve all felt that sense of false security before—locking down external access to a database or component and feeling like we’ve done all we need to do to secure company data. But that feeling is fleeting. Attacks these days can happen in many w…
Suggested Courses

864 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question