Shared Outlook Calendar not restricting access to other folders

Posted on 2005-05-10
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2010-04-08

I've set up a new user account in ADS to use as the Company Calendar.  We're using Exchange and Office 2003.  I've shared the high level Mailbox - Company Calendar to each of our employees for 'Author' access.  I also specified 'None' for access to the Inbox of this mailbox.  However, I'm finding out as I'm testing, that other users can still access the Inbox of Mailbox - Company Calendar.  I thought that by setting the access to 'None' that the users would not have access to the Inbox.  Is there something additional I need to do?

Also, users are able to change other user's calendar appointments.  I thought this couldn't happen when the users are assigned with 'Author' permissions.    What do I need to do here to allow users to only change their own calendar entries?

Thanks for your time.

Question by:dweb937
  • 2
LVL 21

Accepted Solution

traval earned 300 total points
ID: 13969682
Sounds like this:

XADM: Exchange 2000 Users Have Full Mailbox Access to the Mailboxes of Other Users (328670)

Author Comment

ID: 13979118

      Thanks for responding.   I'm just now able to respond back.  My e-mail verification had not arrived after I changed my e-mail yesterday.

       I went to the link as you suggested.  When I went through the steps, the Properties of the Mailbox Store did not have any checks for Allow/Deny permission for 'Receive As' or 'Send As'.   So, I checked the Deny for both.  Then I went into ADS to verify that Full mailbox access permissions were correctly assigned.  For a couple of users I checked, they still showed Full Mailbox Access.  I checked Deny for one user.

     I then went to test in the Calendar to see if when I logged in as another user, whether I could change my own Calendar entries.  I still was able to.  Anyhow, I did some more fooling around and messed myself up.  Somehow I screwed up my access to two other mailboxes (customer service and orders).  I finally got that straightened out but probably still have not fully corrected it.  I don't know what the parent child relationship is of the objects since I didn't originally set up Exchange.    Nor, have I been able to figure it out since I lack much experience or any training in this area.

     So, I don't know what to do now.  Any suggestions?


LVL 21

Expert Comment

ID: 13987387
OK, when you say a permission of "none" to the Inbox, are you talking about that being applied to the name "default"?  Because default permissions come into play of no other permissions are explicitly assigned.  So if you have assigned default permission of none but all users do have access, then some group to which all users belong has explicit permissions to the inbox.  The everyone group is the primary suspect in that situation, but it can be any group to which the users belong and to which excessive permissions have been assigned.

It doesn't have to be a group, however, you can give a particular user(s) permissions as well.  You said that for 1 user you checked deny, but I am not sure what permission you are talking about.  However, after changing that users permission you would need to have them log off and log back onto the network, then try to access whatever it is you changed the permission to, and see if that had the desired effect.

Featured Post

What is SQL Server and how does it work?

The purpose of this paper is to provide you background on SQL Server. It’s your self-study guide for learning fundamentals. It includes both the history of SQL and its technical basics. Concepts and definitions will form the solid foundation of your future DBA expertise.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

With so many activities to perform, Exchange administrators are always busy in organizations. If everything, including Exchange Servers, Outlook clients, and Office 365 accounts work without any issues, they can sit and relax. But unfortunately, it…
Mailbox Corruption is a nightmare every Exchange DBA wishes he never has. Recovering from it can be super-hectic if not entirely futile. And though techniques like the New-MailboxRepairRequest cmdlet have been designed to help with fixing minor corr…
This Experts Exchange video Micro Tutorial shows how to tell Microsoft Office that a word is NOT spelled correctly. Microsoft Office has a built-in, main dictionary that is shared by Office apps, including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word. When …
This video shows how to remove a single email address from the Outlook 2010 Auto Suggestion memory. NOTE: For Outlook 2016 and 2013 perform the exact same steps. Open a new email: Click the New email button in Outlook. Start typing the address: …
Suggested Courses

807 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question