I regularly need to search for programs or specific text over several volumes (nearly a terabyte of data). I have asked this question in the past but received negative results.
In the past I grudgingly used the barely adequate search tool that Windows 2K provides. I could search multiple volumes by separating them with a semicolon (;) in the "LOOK IN" box. To my utter dismay, I just found out that Windows XP DOESN'T allow this!
My question is: I am looking for a better search tool with the following criteria.
- Search multiple volumes (they never change so this could be set) in a single search;
- Use Boolean logic (AND, OR, NOT, etc);
- Use smart caching to speed up searching;
- Find similar names in a search (so that exact spelling is not required);
- Not only search for file names but also look inside text files for names;
- Search for multiple names simultaneously (e.g. search for files with the names cat OR dog - see Boolean logic);
- Have all the similar features of Microsoft's search tool such as date and size restrictions.
As a bonus (it doesn't have to be the same program) 100 additional points for a good DUPLICATE FILE CHECKER that doesn't crash when checking 100000 files. I have tried a few but they are obviously designed for home users. Please, answer this question ONLY if you have real experience with such a program and a large number of files. Just searching Google will reveal many of these programs. I am currently testing one from ABC-view.com.
I also have a few other high value questions: