My NW6.5 upgrade is delayed another few months so this is what I plan to do this week:
- Duplicate the NW boot volume and boot up on the new hardware;
- Install/replace device drivers (Ethernet and SCSI controller).
Hopefully, I can find compatible drivers for the Adaptec 2120S controller and the Gigabit Ethernet card);
- Copy the entire contents of my current server across the wire (The server name will be different)
Should I do this from ConsoleONE (drag and drop) or is there a better tool?
- Once everything is done, shut down the old server and change the server name of the new one.
Steps involved in changing a NW 5.0 server name:
- Edit the AUTOEXEC.NCF file, and restart the server;
- Run SETUPNLS to set up NLS with the new server name;
- Change the NDS volume name in ConsoleOne
My greatest concern is driver compatibility, however...
My question is: Are there any other potential 'kinks' in the above plan?
Later on, I plan to perform an in-place upgrade from Netware 5.0 to 6.5.
Thank you for your input!
I also have a few other high value questions: