I have XP Home running with OLEAUT32.DLL version 5.1.2600.2180 and need to replace it with a version 2.40.4275.1 in an attempt to get a program working.
Here is what I tried:
1. Rename the \system32\oleaut32.dll to oleaut32.dll.old
2. Copy the new version of oleaut32.dll into the \system32 directory.
3. I then reboot the computer.
4. Hmmm, now the original version has reappeared !
I also downloaded the ran the file from below link which is supposed to replace the OLEAUT32.DLL with version 2.40.4275.1 and it fails to do so:
I also tried:
1. Delete the file. It disappears from the Explorer list.
2. Then do a "View > Refresh" and it reappears.
Whatever I do the original version reappears!
How do I force my computer to use the alternate version (2.40.4275.1) ?