working on a cpu upgrade from xp home to pro and at the 34 min mark the cpu reboots and restarts in an endless loop.
I understand this problem is refered to in MS Article 814847 "How to Slipstream hotfixes hat replace preexisting driver files".
I have looked at the setupact log and found
"""The external program RUNDLL32 shell32,Control_RunDLL intl.cpl,,/f:"C:\WINDOWS\System32\$winnt$.inf" /s:"M:\I386" returned exit code 0.
NetSetup: SetupMode: 0x1, ProductType: 0x0, OperationFlags: 0x800c
Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security.
An extended error has occurred.
C:\WINDOWS\System32\usbhub.sys was not deleted because of the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."""
This is where I get lost and need help.
1. It says to connect to the cpu you want to make a distribution folders on.
How do I do this? Can I use boot disks and do this from a command prompt?
2. next it says to create an i386 distribution folder by typing the following MD E:\i386
What is E: suppose to be my hard drive (C:)?
3. Use the xcopy command-line utility to copy the files and subfolders from the Windows 2000 SP3 CD-ROM (integrated installation) to the E:\i386 folder. For example, if your CD-ROM drive is drive D, type the following:
XCOPY /E /I /V D:\i386 E:\i386
I am installing XP pro sp1 not windows 2000 sp3 so do all the commands stay the same?
4. Create an E:\i386\svcpack folder. For example, to create a svcpack subfolder in the i386 folder, type the following:
This should be easy once I figure out step 2
5. Copy the hotfix executable program (Qnnnnnn_XXX_YYY_ZZZ_LL.exe) to the E:\i386\svcpack folder by using the 8.3 naming format (Qnnnnnn.exe), where nnnnnn represents the actual hotfix number.
Where do I find this hotfix executable program????