I have a Dell XPS desktop, a Dell C400 laptop, both running XP-PRO, SP2. SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS, NO FIREWALL SOFTWARE.
I am using a LinkSys SRX router. The XPS is hardwired, the laptop uses a wireless PC card (SRX). A university office line provides internet service.
Internet access is no problem for either computer.
I created a network using Window Wizard, named workgroup OFFICE.
I made sure both computers have unique names (not a single letter overlap)
Both have same username/password (administrator priviliges), guest account off on both
Both have Windows firewall turned off.
I made netBIOS over TCP/IP active for both computers
I turned off Simple fire sharing on both
I turned on/off File-print sharing on both (2 reboots)
I made sure Computer Browser service is active on both
Both belong to same subnet 255.255.255.0
Here is the problem:
- Both computers appear in the workgroup view, updates their names if changed
- The laptop (192.168.1.100) can open the desktop (192.168.1.101) and access its files
- The desktop sees the laptop all the time but does not allow access to it - Not once despite all changes above!
- Laptop and desktop can ping server 192.168.1.1
- laptop can ping desktop by IP address and most of the time by name (less predictable)
- Desktop can ping itself by name or IP BUT NEVER could ping laptop by name or IP.
I appreciate any help with this issue!
- Desktop looses connectivity to workgroup often. Laptop seems quite more stable.
- Net View command on desktop occasionally returns error 53 or 6118