We help IT Professionals succeed at work.
Get Started

migrating terminal services licensing server

useport80
useport80 asked
on
170 Views
Last Modified: 2010-04-12
hey all,
   i have a few questions about terminal services licensing.

my network has 1 terminal services licensing server, ipserv (win 2000), and i want to move all the licenses off of it to a new server named dns01(win 2000). i want to throw away ipserv and the last thing i need to move/migrate off is licensing. all DCs are 2000 sp4. 80% of member servers are server 2003 and the other 20% are win 2000. 1 sql 2000 server and 1 exchange 2000 server. everything else is file/print basically.

dns01 is a

all servers are in remote administration mode except for one named help01. help01 is a 2000 terminal server for the helpdesk. everyone at the helpdesk uses win xp sp1 or sp2.

since the helpdesk uses winxp, dont they all get a temporary license when they use help01 ? i believe the helpdesk uses remote desktop connection or the mmc console "remote desktops" to access help01. all the helpdesk does it login to the terminal server and reset passwords and normal day to day things. nothing special in regards to how they use help01.

last time i called the microsoft clearinghouse they asked me for my client pack # and all this information that i dont have. the licenses were all purchased years ago.

basically my question is how do i move the licenses off ipserv to dns01? i dont have any prior knowledge about the licenses(just started this job). do i even really need to move the licenses if the helpdesk can use winxp's temporary licenses? what other software needs a terminal licensing server ?

some added info. yesterday i turned of ipserv and the helpdesk hasn't complained about not being able to connect to help01, so does that mean they are using temporary licenses in winxp ?

i took a screenshot of the licensing console of ipserv(had to turn it back on this morning)

http://www.noobish.org/license.jpg


please let me know if you need more information.

thank you everyone :)
Comment
Watch Question
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Most Valuable Expert 2019
Most Valuable Expert 2018
Commented:
This problem has been solved!
Unlock 1 Answer and 3 Comments.
See Answer
Why Experts Exchange?

Experts Exchange always has the answer, or at the least points me in the correct direction! It is like having another employee that is extremely experienced.

Jim Murphy
Programmer at Smart IT Solutions

When asked, what has been your best career decision?

Deciding to stick with EE.

Mohamed Asif
Technical Department Head

Being involved with EE helped me to grow personally and professionally.

Carl Webster
CTP, Sr Infrastructure Consultant
Ask ANY Question

Connect with Certified Experts to gain insight and support on specific technology challenges including:

  • Troubleshooting
  • Research
  • Professional Opinions
Did You Know?

We've partnered with two important charities to provide clean water and computer science education to those who need it most. READ MORE