This might get a little bit long winded here but I will try to give you as much information as I know.
In my organization we are running SMS and have a collection for my local office. Recently we just received a bunch of new dell machines that we have installed and have users currently working on. The users old machines were members of the SMS collection so that software and updates could be sent to the users machines. I recently added these new machines to the collection with the old machines and noticed that some of the machines were assigned but not clients and some were not assigned and not clients. The old machines are now all disconnected from the network but are still in the collection the new machines all have the same computer name as the old computer name with the exception of -xp tacked onto the end. If an old computer name was computer1 then the new computer name would be computer1-xp so I know there is not a problem with the naming convention.
I have tried to run the client installation wizard from the SMS administrator console with no luck I can get through the wizard successfully and everything seems to go correctly except the client does not install. The client discovery and installation methods are correctly configured because they are working correctly for other offices under our SMS structure. The new machines do not have windows xp SP2 installed and they do not have any kind of firewall active on them. I attempted a manual installation and it worked with no problems and the assigned and client both appeared as yes in the SMS console.
At this point I am kind of out of ideas as to what is going on with this situation and would just like to be able to install the clients. Give me a hand and I will give you the points.