russian characters turn into question marks

I have somewhat of a puzzle here. I have made a basic app (form with a memo field in it) and whenever I copy and paste some russian characters into this field, I end up with question marks. This is evenually going to go into a much more complex app that will write this data to either an Oracle or SQL Server database.

I've even tried changing my OS regional settings to Russian but to no avail. The test phrase I'm testing is Алишер Фатыхов  (I'm not russian so my apologies if its offensive :) )

Thx in advance!
B.D.
LVL 34
Big MontyWeb Ninja at largeAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

_Katka_Commented:
Hi, I guess these conditions are fullfiled:

1) Russian font support installed ? (at Control Panel/Regional Settings/Details - 20880 IBM EDIDIC + 20866 Russian KOI8)
2) Memo's font property CHARSET set to  ANSI_CHARSET or RUSSIAN_CHARSET ?

Is it so ?

regards,
Kate
andrewjbCommented:
Delphi components don't support unicode. You need to write or find a component set.

And, although I've answered this Q many times before, I can never remember the canonical unicode components.. Someone else'll give you a link if you can't google for them..
Mike LittlewoodEngineerCommented:
Have a look at the Project Jedi website - http://www.delphi-jedi.org/
Their libraries contain components that handle Unicode
Introduction to R

R is considered the predominant language for data scientist and statisticians. Learn how to use R for your own data science projects.

Big MontyWeb Ninja at largeAuthor Commented:
hmmm, unfortunately the more complicated app contains a 3rd party component being used as the memo field, and cant really be changed. Is there any way around this?

Katkka - yes on both accounts
_Katka_Commented:
I guess if you own the sources to that component (I presume yes)
then aditionally code it to support Unicode.. or maybe you can ask
the creator of component to change it in the next version or/and
pay for it some money.

regards,
Kate
sas13Commented:
for win2000, xp you can try this:

Memo1.Font.Charset := RUSSIAN_CHARSET;

and in initialization section:

initialization
  SetThreadLocale($419);
Big MontyWeb Ninja at largeAuthor Commented:
tried that, didn't work :(
AmigoJackCommented:
queck this and forget complexity. every well-known control has its unicode-brother, you can even have unicode forms! all strings are accessable as widestrings - so your russian problem should be solved, as for my katakanas were also ;-)

http://www.tntware.com/delphicontrols/unicode/

(the author says hes much concerned about to use AS LITTLE change as possible to the controls. every component hereins masses of the standard ones)

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Big MontyWeb Ninja at largeAuthor Commented:
thanx A.J. - I just ended up using this control. Although there are some issues copying and pasting, I think I can get around them.

B.D.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Fonts Typography

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.