We've had IIS 5.0 installed on a Windows 2000 server for over a year and it has functioned properly for all of that time (ie, no access problems). Last week, suddenly, it started returning an "Error: Access denied" page when attempting to access any of the pages in the web site. Upon checking the system logs, there is the following error:
Text: The server was unable to logon the Windows NT account ‘IUSR_IKE’ due to the following error: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. The data is the error code. For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp
If I restart the IIS Admin Service and the WWW Publishing service, it will work properly for a random amount of time (anywhere from about 2 hours up to 12+) but will always end up failing at some point.
IIS is configured for anonymous access using the IUSR account (as it always has been). I've tried numerous troubleshooting steps including the following, but to no avail - the problem persists and I cannot figure out what is triggering it:
-- IIS was configured to control the password for the IUSR account, so I changed it and manually entered one for the IUSER and entered the same one for the IWAM account (because I read that these need to be in sync). It works fine at first, but will still fail.
-- In Local Users and Groups, I've ensured that the password for the IUSER and IWAM accounts are set to "password never expires" and that neither requires that "user must change password at next logon"
-- The IUSR and IWAM accounts both have the "Log on Locally" local security policy enabled and I've ensured that while the problem is occuring these policies remain in effect (ie, they are not lost when the problem occurs).
The only recent change to the server is the installation of patch MS05019. But this patch was installed on 6/23 and the problem did not start occurring until 6/28, so it does not seem like this triggered the problem.
I have a test installation of this same site at my office and this problem does not occur there. This site serves over 800 users, so finding a fix to this problem has become quite urgent. Thank you for your help.