I am having a real peculiar RPC over HTTPS problem. I have spent a good
deal of time looking things over and everything seems to be configured
correctly. I will list what I have done so far. Exchange 2003 SP1 Windows
First install the RPC over HTTPs module through add remove programs
Use the RPC/HTTPs tab on the server properties under System manager to
configure my single server as backend. It did give me an error stating that
RPC/HTTPs would not work since I did not have a front end server, but
everyone seems to think this is normal.
Created a certificate for IIS issued to mail.odysseynetworking.com
Created an internal DNS zone named odysseynetworking.com for internal name
resolution to function properly. AKA assigned private IP address A records
to my internet addresses.
Went over the regkeys for RPCproxy and valid port. below is the values
Valid ports =
I have installed the certificate chain on the test PC.
Configured Outlook 2003 running on Server 2003 SP1 to use
as its RPC proxy. Configured the mutual
authentication as msstd:mail.odysseynetworki
ng.com. Set RPC proxy to be
used for fast and slow networks.
When I run the outlook /rpcdiag it will always connect with TCP/ip
When I run rpcping.exe with the following switches, I am prompted for a
password followed by:
Response from server received: 401
Client is not authorized to ping RPC proxy
E:\Program Files\Support Tools>rpcping -t ncacn_http -s
om -o RpcProxy=mail.odysseynetwo
rking.com -P "administrator,odyssey,*" -H
2 -u 10 -a connect -F 3 -v 3 -E -R none
From the looks of things this should be a problem with a password or user
not existing. I have tried with my personal account as well as the
administrator account. I feel like there is a setting somewhere that says
not just how to setup RPC/HTTPs but also whether it is enabled or disabled
or something such as that. It also goes without saying that it does not
work with outlook/rpcdiag either. If anyone can help please do. To make
sure I am not crazy I have duplicated this setup on two servers, and the
result is the same on either.
I just hope it isn't some answer like the fix for this will be incorporated
into SP2. The funny thing is at one point in time I had RPC/HTTP setup on
one of the exchange servers and it worked fine. I may have forgoten
something I did it has been a long day.