After I installed a new Windows 2003 domain controller in a Windows 2000 domain I have problems removing the old Windows 2000 server.
Everything works just fine as long as the old server is precent but as soon as it's removed all DNS quierys fail and the new server complains about replication errors.
I have run all the adprep and dcpromo commands and I have installed DNS on the new server.
I don't know if the problem is that I removed the old server before the AD was properly replicated or if the new DNS server simply doesn't work.
I get no dns events but many errors originating from dns in system event viewer.
I have check this site for answers but as far as I can tell I've done everything right.
This is how I did:
1. Installed Windows 2003 on new server
2. Added new server to the network as a member server.
3. Ran adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep on old Windows 2000 server
4. Ran dcpromo on new server (without dns)
5. Changed all FSMO roles to the new server, made new server Global Catalog server.
6. Installed DHCP and DNS on new server.
7. Deautherized DHCP server on old server.
8. Removed old server.