I am running a Win2k domain, 100Mbps hubs. I have a main building and a remote building 200 yards away connected via 10 Mbps fiber switches.
The PCs in the main building are operating normally. The PCs in the remote are experiencing severe lag, almost like the bandwidth has been whittled down.
There are only 6 PCs on the remote 10Mbps link, and I have shut all but 1 down to rule out congestion.
I have reset the switches and the remote hub.
I ran a ping -t -l 64000 to the gateway in the main building, and all requests timed out.
I ran a ping -t to the gateway and all replied in <1ms.
When trying to access any domain resources, including Active Directory itself, I either get a resource not available error, or a not responding in the window.
When I browse the internet, I get reasonably quick page loads.
I also tried streaming music at 128kbps from Shoutcast, coming through the aforementioned gateway and it streamed fine! No drops or snags.
This remote segement was running OK up until a few weeks ago when it dropped off the network entirely. I ended up powering off all hubs and switches in the main building, and voila, connection re-established. That didn't work this time.