How search engines work for Chinese web page

Do any expert know where to find information about how search engines work for Chinese web pages? The meta tag, keywords (separated by English comma or Chinese comma) etc.
fhtongAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

duzCommented:
fhtong -

>how search engines work for Chinese web pages?

You do the same SEO but the pages must have chinese encodings.  So for example for GB2312 you would have...

<html lang="zh">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="zh"/>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=GB2312"/>

For Big5 you would have...

<html lang="zh">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="zh"/>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Big5"/>

Ideally you want to use both these encodings by having identical pages in with each encoding and links between them.

- duz

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
fhtongAuthor Commented:
Thanks, duz

How about the comma for keywords in Chinese? Should use the English comma (1 byte) or the Chinese comma (2 byte)?

fhtong
duzCommented:
fhtong -

Don't use double byte.

- duz
Microsoft Azure 2017

Azure has a changed a lot since it was originally introduce by adding new services and features. Do you know everything you need to about Azure? This course will teach you about the Azure App Service, monitoring and application insights, DevOps, and Team Services.

fhtongAuthor Commented:
Thanks, duz.

The last thing about this question that I hope to get is about organic search.
How such search engines deal with organic search with foreign language like Chinese, especially with big5 and gb?
It is said that Google has invested in Baidu (top search engines in China), do you think that Google has to rely on Baidu for Chinese searching technique?
duzCommented:
fhtong -

I don't know how but Google seems to manage somehow. The latest figures I saw show Baidu way ahead of Google in usage so either Google will buy Baidu or compete more aggressively. Google own only 3% of Baidu and I think to buy the other 97% outright would cost to much.

- duz
fhtongAuthor Commented:
duz

I have checked Baidu, sohu etc. occassionally since a few years ago. There are two major parts for my investigation, first about their page ranking and second about their keyword plan.
It is not possible to analyse their page ranking because they had never stated openly and there was no confirmation after checking various keywords and the web pages.
Their keyword plans are hard to join because there was no maximum and no clear way to know how you would be charged. Of course, as my previous question, there is no way to argue with Google too. But, at least, I have the choice to stop the Adsense. In fact, I did.

Now the Internet is growing fast in China, it may be interest to know whether Google and Yahoo would join the fight. I am sure that Chinese search engines like Baidu will meet challenge.

I shall close this question soon since your information would be helpful for me already.

fhtong
AussieWebmasterCommented:
Baidu is about to IPO here in the States - may be a great investment.
From our work on our Chinese language sites we have seen that Baidu and Sina are more impacted by sheer number of inbound and internal links. They do not seem to filter heavily for relevance of the links though the translations for this testing takes a lot of man hours and we have not done one recently.
fhtongAuthor Commented:
Thanks.

duz's info let me clarified what to do and AussieWebmaster's info gave me further understanding of what Baidu or perhaps other search engines for Chinese are doing.

It is certain that there are too few information about Chinese search engines and I hope that with Chinese online population growing up, there would be more experts for this case.

fhtong
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Internet Marketing

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.