I have several (18 to 20) computers on my network that are running XP-Home. All are having trouble now accessing resources (printers, files, folders) on our domain - although a few weeks ago they did not!
My goal is this: configure their machines to work on our network (allowing them Internet access, printing to network printers, access to programs on our Servers - basic network stuff).
I've been adding their UserName and password to Active Directory. I'm just now adding their Computer name to the Computers Folder of A.D. too.
The problem is this: often the UserName they have been using for a long time is not in line with our domain policy: FirstnameL or FirstnameLastname. Many have been working as: Firstname Lastname (with a space). So I have added a new user to their machines, following the domain policy, and attempted to copy over all the setting from their old profile to the new profile.
This used to work seamlessly. Recently though I've been getting access denied errors starting with: settings on the destination folder have not been set properly.
Could you (would you) lay out the steps I should be using to easily create a new user and to migrate all the settings over from the old profile to the new (complete with the ownership issues)?
Thanks, in advance!
PS: the following information may/may not be pertinant to the discussion but I'll add anyway. It seems as though the "ceiling of acceptability", for wether you can participate on our network or not, has risen recently. Users whose machines were not set up "properly" but who could still access all the resources in our domain, all-of-a-sudden were NOT permitted to do certain stuff (like print to a network printer through our print Server). The user who attempts to access the print server is presented with a logon screen where they enter their Username and password before access is granted. It's as though we updated our server with a new update from Microsoft that changed the level of security to a 'tighter' level.