On a Windows 2000 server after running Windows Update on August 11th I've started with a few problems. The server is in a workgroup and not a DC. First, open and when when it says "Opening http://www.msn.com
" at the bottom is freezes and I need to force it down. Also, both Control Panel (Start > Settings > Control Panel) and Printers (Start > Settings > Printers) windows are empty when I open them and they too have to be forced down. For Control Panel and Printers, when they are killed it also kills explorer.exe which then re-runs as it should.
Initially I thought this was IE specific since I installed Firefox and internet runs fine, however I'm not sure it doesn't run deeper. Here is what I've tried so far:
1. Created a new user and added it to the Administrators group. The idea was to log in with a new profile incase the issue was profile specific. However, when I do try to log in with this new user I sit at a blank screen (the standard window blue background) indefinitly. I can only log in with Administrator.
2. Ran IEFIX found at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm
but no help.
3. Re-ran ie6setup.exe. This is the latest IE for Windows 2000. It gave me the option to reinstall IE, which I did. Then I rebooted but still have the same behavior.
4. Scanned for Spyware/Adware/Viruses. Nothing siginificant was found and I cleanup what little there was.
5. All things work fine when booted into safe mode. IE opens pages, and both Control Panel and Printers display normally.
I'm totally stumped and open to any suggestion. I'd prefer to not have to while out the server for this if possible.