I am doing this on a Windows XP system. I am relatively new to both MySQL and PHP. This problem appears to be just with MySQL since my third party database manager (SQLyog) can not open a connection. The message is always the same error 2003 (10061). I have reloaded 6-8 times since the last time MySQL was performing correctly and then began to have problems. Following the occurrence I tried many suggestions from the internet. I have gone through the sequence of: uninstall MySQL, use regedit to remove any residual entries for MySLQ that are in the registry, and cleaned out any related registry trash using the Fixit 5 utility. I have then performed an install following a delete of all MySQL folders and sub-folders as well as without deleting the MySQL folders. Typically I can run the instance generation function (MySQL function) and it will activate the service. At this point I use SQLyog to try to look at my data and I get the error 2003. I have run a command prompt and activated several of the MySQL modules manually and I see the same message. I am just using the MySQL functions that are provided with the download. The download indicates that it is version 4.1.12a. I am installing MySQL using the automated installer that is provided with the download.
My gut instinct is that there is something wrong with the ini file or the placement of some file (including the ini file). Some install instructions have suggested that the ini file should be a cnf file so I have also made the ini file into a duplicate file with the cnf extension. I have most recently looked at the error log and it indicates that some of the database tables are not being found. I have since copied the backup of the database into the MySQL/data folder to try to fix that problem.
Long story but I wanted to be as exact as I can. I don't have any sample code snippets to show what I have done since it is all done online.
Solution: Yesterday the Norton Internet Security people sent out an Outbreak Alert with a fix for two new viruses. Apparently that fix has something to do with port 3306 since if I turn off the Internet Security then I can use my MySQL database again. Any previous updates to the Norton system had not affected the firewall this way. I will check with the Norton support site to see if they have a viable solution for allowing the use of port 3306 such as was available before this update. If anyone has an idea in regards to the Norton problem I am still interested in an answer.
I am offering 500 points for help in resolving this problem.