Background: We're research shop (University) and we got the wild idea that Oracle would be great storage medium for spatial and hydrologic data. So in April, we did an out of box install of 9.0.2, and it's been running fine ever since. As we're a research shop, obviously, there was no provision in the "grant" for things not related to research such as "tape drives" and "Veritas". Hint hint wink wink. With that said, now we're screwed. As of Aug 18th, the research DB and the Management Repository no longer start. I'm discovering this today. There is a suspicious absence of the 02 and 03 redo logs. We think malicious deletion on an unsecured (by policy) network. And, as a research shop, we only staff researchers, not DB admins, a fact that our tech support dept loves to remind us of. (They'll only support us if we give them ownership of the server, but then they won't allow us the flexibility we need to do research). sooo.....
My goal here is to get 9.0.2 running to a point where I can connect to it using our spatial database front end (Arc SDE 9.0) and suck the data out of it. We've learned our lesson, and will give the #*(@(*@#(*(@* data to IT where THEY can be responsible for it. On a side note, I did have the forsite to turn on one of those archive buttons, and have all the archive logs from install date to aug 18th for the research db. I'm not really concerned about the management repository, as I'm hosing this machine once I get the data, but the knowledge will be helpful.
Here is the alert log:
I get a tnslistner error when attempting to connect via sql plus.
Fire Wall is turned off ( I tried turning off everything) and there is nothing else but Oracle and Arc SDE on the box. There is about 700 GB free disk space (RAID array). I can't find any spyware or trojan horses. In a previous life, I dealt with ITSEC for a banking software company, so I'm a little bit miffed that someone managed to slip past my steel curtain and trash this DB. The renaming of the guest account to "owned" is what tipped me off.....no one but me has had write access to the tables, and I haven't made an edit in some time. Basically this was just a repository of spatial data so others involved in the project could access it from their GIS workstations. There is a vehement opposition to this project, my "results" could cost the home building industry millions, but that's for another email.....
The author of a successfull solution will get a nice thank you letter/letter of rec on NCSU letterhead.
Guys, I only get one shot at this. A botched recovery will torpedoe 2 GB of field data.