I have a pretty urgent problem with the print spooler service on my IBM T43 laptops. These laptops were freshly setup with a clone, no software of questionable sources is insstalled. Only Win XP pro, Office 2k3, lotus notes, IBM personal communication and some other apps like winzip and acrobat reader. Everything went fine, untill I wanted to install the printers. When I click on "add new printer", a message box appears "operation could not be completed. the print spooler service is not running". When I check the service, it is set to automatic, but is not running. When I start it, it runs fine, untill I try to install a printer, then the service crashes again. When I set the service to restart automatically upon a crash, it keeps restarting, then crashing. In the eventlog, the only entries are "the print spooler service terminated unexpectedly. it has done this n times".
I've already tried the following without any success:
- Try a system repair with the XP pro CD
- Manualy copied another instance of spoolsv.exe and spoolss.dll from the windows xp CD and from another PC, on which the spooler is running fine
- Applied all windows fixes, critical and optional, as well as service pack 2
- scanned for viruses: none found
- removed all spyware
- uninstalled any application that might cause problems with the spooler, even by a long shot
- called IBM support, they couldn't help me either
I'd like to point out in advance, that installing a new version of the printer drivers will not help me, as i don't even get that far. no printers are installed on the system and therefore, I cannot update the drivers.
Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,