We are not able to promote a Windows 2003 R2 server to domain controller in
our Windows 2000 AD domain. Our current domain was upgraded from a Windows
We have a single forest with two domains. The first/primary domain is
a.xxx.local and the second is b.xxx.local. There are two Win2K DCs in
a.xxx.local and 1 in b.xxx.local. We're trying to add the new Win2K3 DC in
- The Win2K3 R2 server was installed and updated then joined to the domain.
- On the schema master for a.xxx.local we ran adprep /forestprep from the
Win2K3 R2 CD. It ran fine.
- On the infrastructure masters for a.xxx.local and b.xxx.local we ran
adprep /domainprep /grpprep, which also ran fine.
- When we re-run them, the response is that the domain is already prepared.
- We then forced a replication.
We installed Exchange 2K3 on the new Win2K3 R2 server, prep-ing the forest
and domain using the wizard. We ran both the Prevent LDF and for good
measure, the Fix LDF scripts because we lost track of order-of-operations
around lunch time.
We then tried to promote the Win2K3 to DC. It checks the forest and comes
back saying that the forest isn't prepared.
- We removed Exchange.
- We left the domain and rejoined
- DNS looks good
- We're using WINS
- We're using the right accounts
- The ADC has been updated on all three DCs in the forest
- There is nothing exciting in the Event Logs
We've gone over all the TechNotes in Microsoft's support site and think
we've covered all the bases. We'd appreciate some guidance from those more
expert than us before we call Microsoft.