Inbox for a mailbox on Exchange 2003 has had all inbox items removed...

We are running Exchange 2003 on Win 2003 standard server with MS Outlook 2003 client & OWA

Under what circumstanses exactly could all the items be removed from the inbox on the mailserver when outlook is run with caching switched on!?!?!

There are two outlook files on the c drive of the machine, named the same and of different sizes, it seems that on contains the inbox items and no sent items and the other the sent items but no in box items.

The sent items are still available on from the mailbox on the server.  When we run the client in cached mode it seems to suck down the items from the inbox on the server!?!

Can we xmerge the outlook file in the applications folder on the local machine back into the exchange mailbox?

I have seen outlook do some strange things before but not this.
SNRequipAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

SNRequipAuthor Commented:
OK, it was an 1D10T error.  Somehow, don't ask, I managed to create a .pst file of the inbox...

OK, that's easy, just exmerge it, yeah right...

Having trouble getting exmerge to play nice, am down to the following two log file results;

1/ when exmerging outlook 2003 .pst file

[11:26:05] Using attribute 'PR_MESSAGE_DELIVERY_TIME' for date operations.
[11:26:05] Merging data into target store. The program will copy only those messages that do not exist in the target store.
[11:26:05] Associated folder data will NOT be copied to the target store.
[11:26:05] Using 'English (Britain)' (0x809) as the default locale (Code page 1252)
[11:26:05] All mailboxes will be processed, regardless of locale
[11:26:05] Using default locale for all mailboxes
[11:26:05] Initializing worker thread (Thread0)
[11:26:05] Merging data from file 'C:\XMERGE TEST\DELETE.TEST.PST' to mailbox 'Delete Test' ('DELETE.TEST') on server 'MAILSERVER'.
[11:26:05] Error configuring message service (MSPST MS) (MAPI_E_EXTENDED_ERROR)  (CMapiSession::CreateEMSPSTProfile)
[11:26:05] Errors encountered. Copy process aborted for mailbox 'Delete Test' ('DELETE.TEST').
[11:26:05] Number of items copied from the source store for all mailboxes processed: 0
[11:26:05] Total number of folders processed in the source store: 0
[11:26:05] 0 mailboxes successfully processed. 1 mailboxes were not successfully processed. 0 non-fatal errors encountered.
[11:26:05] Process completion time: 00:00:00

2/ when exmerging a file that I have moved from a 2003 .pst file to a 97/2002 .pst file

[11:43:43] Merging data into target store. The program will copy only those messages that do not exist in the target store.
[11:43:43] Associated folder data will NOT be copied to the target store.
[11:43:43] Using 'English (Britain)' (0x809) as the default locale (Code page 1252)
[11:43:43] All mailboxes will be processed, regardless of locale
[11:43:43] Using default locale for all mailboxes
[11:43:43] Initializing worker thread (Thread0)
[11:43:43] Merging data from file 'C:\XMERGE TEST\DELETE.TEST.PST' to mailbox 'Delete Test' ('DELETE.TEST') on server 'MAILSERVER'.
[11:43:45] Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)
[11:43:45] Errors encountered. Copy process aborted for mailbox 'Delete Test' ('DELETE.TEST').
[11:43:45] Number of items copied from the source store for all mailboxes processed: 0
[11:43:45] Total number of folders processed in the source store: 0
[11:43:45] 0 mailboxes successfully processed. 1 mailboxes were not successfully processed. 0 non-fatal errors encountered.
[11:43:45] Process completion time:  0:00:00:02

Am using the latest version of exmerge for exchange 2003 and am running exmerge as Domain Administrator
SembeeCommented:
Why are you running exmerge as domain administrator?
Those errors are permission errors.
Domain administrator is denied access to the mailbox by default.

Ideally you should use another account with limited rights. Take a look at this other question I am working on at the moment, I have covered what needs to be done.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Email_Groupware/Exchange_Server/Q_21735253.html

Simon.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
SNRequipAuthor Commented:
Hi Simon,

I got it sussed earlier today, was having a bit of a day...

Thanks.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.