I have an application installed as a service on windows 2003 server sp1. I used the instsrv & srvany from the win2003 resource kit to install the service. I can see the application start up in the task manager, however nothing happens. I can tell if the application is running because it opens a database connection and writes to a log file. It does neither when started as a service. It runs properly if I just double click the application alone.
I work for a software company, and we use srvany to run a server application as a service for many customers. I have it successfully running on windows 2000 servers, 1 windows 2003 server (without SP1). I think it has to do with tighter process security with sp1.
I installed the service while logged on to the server with remote desktop using an account with administrator rights. The server is not a domain controller.