Thanks for looking!
I need to add another server (DC i am imagining) at a remote location and replicate AD from the headoffice to the branch. The DC at head office is SBS 2003. I am going to add a Server 2003 Standard edition server at the remote branch. I am going to outline the steps that i know and hopefully someone will be able to tell me the steps i've missed! The primary domain (domain.local) is already setup and dns servers are also setup at headoffice.
Here she goes!!:
1) complete the install of server 2003 and at the headoffice join the new server as a member server on domain.local
2) run dcpromo on the new server and create an domain controller for an existing domain (this is where im not sure if i need to create a child domain)
3) take it to the remote site and install a DNS server on the branch site
4) set up permanent vpn connection between sites
5) on the head office DC setup sites and services (setup new site, subnet and create site link between them)
6) open ports needed for communication
Im a bit mixed up on where to add the machine to the domain. I know that both sides need different IP's for the vpn connection to work. When should i change the IP address on the branch machine as i need it to be able to communicate with the DC at head office, or should i add it once the vpn is established between the sites.
Also i have read that i need to install a new dns server at the remote branch to stop name resolution traffic from the remote branch.