I'm new to DB2. This will show in the following rather naive sequence of events.
Background: I've been asked to install+configure DB2, WebSphere Collaboration Services and a LDAP server on a good-sized (dual Xeon, 8 Gbyte, half a terabyte of RAID5) Intel rackmount. Another person has installed RHEL4 in a fairly minimal configuration for security reasons.
In order of chaos:
1) I tried to run db2setup from the DB2 8.1.1 CD and got mysterious SEGVs from the included IBM JRE 1.3.1. I couldn't get to the bottom of these; I suspect a lack of a compat library somewhere. I've downloaded and installed IBM JDK 1.4.2 and its required compat libraries (and tested that it doesn't trivially SEGV), tried to set DB2USELOCALJRE=Y with that JRE in my path, and the DB2 installer still SEGVs. Therefore I ended up modifying the ESE response file and installing with that response file.
2) Then I rebooted. The server now pauses - literally for several hours - when booting, apparently while trying to prepare its swap. This is second-hand; the server is in a machine room to which I have no direct access, so I can't watch the console during boot. First question: has anyone else ever seen a long pause during boot after installing DB2?
3) I then downloaded and installed FixPak 11 from IBM's site. It went on fine using its installer.
4) I then tried to upgrade instances. This failed. I could not upgrade my sole instance, as the upgrade claimed there were processes using the instance; but I could not run db2stop in the instance as the FixPak had changed library versions on me.
5) I then reasoned that deleting the instance I couldn't upgrade, then re-creating the instance, would re-create the instance with the updated files. Deleting the instance went fine; re-creation fails with the following (the create line was taken from the original db2setup.log and is intended to match the original):
# /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1/instance/db2icrt -a SERVER -s ese -u db2fenc1 -p db2cdb2inst1 db2inst
DBI1281E The database manager configuration file could not be initialized.
The log file is as follows:
-- snip --
$ more /tmp/db2icrt.log.17215
Program name = db2idbm
Instance home dir = /home/db2inst1, Sysadm group = db2iadm1
Instance type = 1, Auth type = SERVER
SQL6048N A communication error occurred during START or STOP DATABASE MANAGER
Update DBM cfg SYSADM_GROUP errcode = 8
DBI1281E The database manager configuration file could not be
An error occurred when attempting to initialize the database
manager configuration file. A DB2 instance could not be created
-- snip --
So, question 2: Does anyone have an idea as to how to persuade instance creation to succeed? I assume I'm missing a process somewhere, but don't know where to look. I'm also loath to restart the server to see whether the process magically comes back, as it could easily be tomorrow before the server decides to restart - and that's a lot of debug time!
Thanks in advance for any thoughts,