I need to be able to check network traffic usage as sometimes the network slows to a crawl. I think it is Internet traffic that slows it down. I need to see by ip address who is doing what.
I have a 3Com 3300 switch where everything comes to and then goes to the router. I have a Linux server plugged into that switch. If I run Ethereal on this server I can see traffic that involves this server, but not all traffic.
1. Is it possible to do this?
2. It seems either my current server or switch port is not in promiscuous mode. How Do I change this?
3. What software is avaiable to do this task? Ethereal seems like it might do the task, but is not very easy to read.
4. Linux Server is Red Hat 8, but Fedora Core 4 is avaiable.
5. If it has to be I can run it on a Microsoft Win 2000 server.