This seems to be a long question, and I need every bit of help, so I'm offering lots of points here that would be split if necessary, I'll begin with describing the situation, then asking the questions.
* A company with 9 PCs (Desktops & Laptops), all Windows XP Pro installed (only one that have WinMe installed)
* All PCs have wireless cards (or built-in in case of the laptop) except the Windows ME PC
* A server PC would be purchased (A normal P4 3.0 GHz 2MB L2 Cache, 1 GB RAM, SATA HDD)
* We have a 2 Mbps ADSL connection through a NETGEAR Wireless Router/Firewall
* All PCs have access to the Internet through the Router (again, except the WinME PC)
* The router supports RADIUS keying
* We have several departments (Sales, Marketing ...) with several PCs each
* I'm going to install Windows Server 2003 on the server PC so it would act as a domain
1) I have never configured or worked on an "Active Directory" or a "Domain" on Windows Server before
What do I do since installing the Windows Server 2003 till I get the following scheme:
- Every department would only be able to see the other PCs in their department
- Share the printer in each department
- Make a shared folder on the Server PC for each department that they alone could access
- Define the priviliges for every user in the company
If you could provide me with a link that has screenshots too, it would be great, I'm sure there are many tutorial pages but I can't find them.
2) I want to be able to control the other PCs internet access through the server PC (remember the WiFi part)
i.e. control websites they visit, control bandwidth, have a log of their internet activities.
And how do I configure the router and the server to do that?
3) Can I connect the WinME PC by a crossover cable to another PC with WiFi and have it join the network, or must I purchase a wireless adapter too?
4) I want to be able to control the server from my laptop without having access to the server room.
5) What if a guest arrives with a laptop that has WiFi and wants to quickly connect to the internet to see his mail?
Any fast and easy way?
6) Will the specs I mentioned for the Server PC be enough?
7) Does Windows Server 2003 contain Exchange Server so that users could use Outlook to e-mail each other?
That's all the questions I could get of my head right now, and please I need accurate and detailed answers.
Thanks all for the help.
edit: What with 500 points at most thingie? I want to put 1500 points for this question!!!
Please moderators, is there any way to add more points?