I'm trying to install a fresh copy of Windows 2000 Professional, but first I would like to delete the two partitions that I have on my hard disk. (Both partitions have also Win2K Professional as OS). But before doing that, I wish to format my drive in order change my file system to FAT32 since I'm not too happy with NTFS.
So I followed the following steps :
- First I inserted Win2K CD on my CD Rom drive
- I chose the option "Clean Install"
- My computer has restarted in Setup mode
- I chose the Setup option and not the Recovery Console
- Then a screen appeared and ask me to either begun the setup, to exit setup or delete one of the partitions
- I chose the delete option and press "D" several times, but nothing happened!
- So I was obliged to begun the setup...
- After the reinstallation I noticed that my computer was not totally cleaned. All my prorams have been removed but there was still a serious portion of data which has not been erased and some folders (like "WINNT") have duplicates.
- As I backed-up all my important data to another computer, I wish to clean this one completely and formatting it to FAT32.
Then I tried to format it using the Command Prompt, but I received the following notice :
"Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. All opened handles to this volume would then be invalid. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)"
If I choose YES or NO, the reply is still the same that is: Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
Formatting in Recovery Console doesn't work either, I tried it a couple minutes ago. I also tried to delete my drive (C) by typing "C:\WINNT>DELETE C:" But it says "Access is denied". :(
What should I have to do to solve this problem?
Awaiting your reply.