Outlook Mobile Access - Item No Longer Exists

Posted on 2006-03-28
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2010-08-05
I've setup OMA for use with a Treo 650.  I'm trying to test it with a web browser before I use the device.  When I login as the Domain Admin at http://servername/oma I get in just fine.  However, when I log in as the user I get:

Item no longer exists. The item you are attempting to access may have been deleted or moved.

I temporarilly made him a domain admin and the same error occured.  OMA is enabled globally in Exchange Administrator, and it is enabled for the user.  The sever is a Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition system.

I'm stumped.  What could I be missing?


Question by:inovatech
  • 2
  • 2
LVL 104

Expert Comment

ID: 16326766
First thing to check is that the path in IIS Manager is correct.

Find the exchange-oma virtual directory and make sure that the local path matches the same domain as listed in the /exchange virtual directory.

For example it should say domain.com everywhere, if it says domain.local and domain.com then it needs to be changed.

The path should be something like:


If you do change it, then you will need to restart the Exchange services to get it to take.

The key thing is that they match - don't change the /exchange setting though.


Author Comment

ID: 16332595
Thanks for the suggestion.  I just checked both the /exchange and the /exchange-oma virtual directories and they both match.  They both contain:


Also, I should mention again that it works perfectly when I connect to oma using the Domain Admin account.  I get a nice text only list of links.  However, it's not permissions related since I temporarily added the user to the Domain Admins group and he was still getting the Item No Longer Exists error.

So, basically, the situation is that the domain admin can connect, but the regular user can't.  Even when he is also a domain admin.  I'm guessing there is something different about the two account other than permissions but I can't put my finger on it.

LVL 104

Accepted Solution

Sembee earned 1500 total points
ID: 16339817
Apparently there is some caching of the error messages. If you aren't acknowledging the error by pressing OK or clicking home, then you will keep getting the error, no matter what you do to the permissions of the user.

Ensure that the /oma virtual directory is set to use the application pool of "ExchangeMobileBrowseApplicationPool"

If you create a new user, does it work then?


Author Comment

ID: 16374607
Sorry for the delay.  I just want to let you know that we had to change gears on this.  They no longer wanted to use OMA, so the need to spend time getting it working went away.  Instead they elected to have all messages forwarded to a POP3 account that the Treo can access w/o problems.

Thanks for the help though.  I'm sure we could have worked the problem out.

Featured Post

Get your Conversational Ransomware Defense e‑book

This e-book gives you an insight into the ransomware threat and reviews the fundamentals of top-notch ransomware preparedness and recovery. To help you protect yourself and your organization. The initial infection may be inevitable, so the best protection is to be fully prepared.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Here in this article, you will get a step by step guidance on how to restore an Exchange database to a recovery database. Get a brief on Recovery Database and how it can be used to restore Exchange database in this section!
With so many activities to perform, Exchange administrators are always busy in organizations. If everything, including Exchange Servers, Outlook clients, and Office 365 accounts work without any issues, they can sit and relax. But unfortunately, it…
In this video we show how to create an email address policy in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.:  First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow…
There are cases when e.g. an IT administrator wants to have full access and view into selected mailboxes on Exchange server, directly from his own email account in Outlook or Outlook Web Access. This proves useful when for example administrator want…
Suggested Courses

840 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question