Arrange panels left to right in flow layout
Posted on 2006-03-29
Can anyone tell me why panels stack on top of each other when contained inside of a flow layout container and how to work around it? If I put labels or controls in a container with flow layout they simply flow left to right until they run out of room and then start a second row.
Here is what I am trying to accomplish.
1. I have an asp.net page with vb that in flow layout.
2. I have a panel in this page.
3. Inside of this panel there are six other panels that contain datagrids and therefore will be of unknown height. These panels have a width of 45% of the parent panel.
4. Of the six panels I may potentially display only 1 or all or any number between one and six.
5. What I want is for the panels to flow left to right and create another row of panels once two have been displayed.
6. Example: I need to display three of the panels. So what I would like to have happen is one row of two panels and a second row that contains the third panel on the left.
7. Theoretically flow layout should allow me to accomplish this but seems to work different for panels than it does for other controls. Other controls flow left to right but the panels just seem to stack on top of each other for some reason.
One other note, I will not use grid layout. I have no idea how tall the panels could be and so cannot use grid layout. Plus, I personally hate the whole grid layout thing as it is a pain in the butt to work with.
Please let me know if more detail is needed on what I am trying to accomplish.