We have a portable that is used as a stand alone XP machine.
Currently, the portable has auto login as a default local user and of course this user has their own files on the HD and specifically in My Documents etc.
My understanding is that when the machine is joined to the domain and rebooted, a domain type login will be displayed.
When a valid domain user (not the local user) logs into the portable, their domain profile will be copied to the local Doc & Settings folder.
1. Can I assume the local users files and login (by selecting the local machine at the login prompt) will be unaffected.
2. How could the local user be migrated to be a full domain user with a roaming profile
3. Do the users files, especially Outlook/email settings get copied to the server during process 2) or do all the users files have to be copied over separately.
4. Is there any risk to the current users local files on the portable (obvisously we will back it up before all this)
5. What happens to the local users files (if anything) and the domain users files on the portable if and when the portable is rejoined to the WORKGROUP (i.e. removed from the domain).