We are getting ready to swap out or domain controller hardware and want to make sure we do this right. Right now we have 2 domain controllers, one is Windows 2003 and one is Windows 2000. We are going to keep the same names and ip addresses on these servers. I have a few questions reguaring this process.
1. Is there any certain order we should swap out the servers? Should we do the 2000 DC first?
2. Is there any reason to do an inplace upgrade on the 2000 DC before we swap out the hardware?
3. FSMO roles are spread out betwen the two DCs. We should transfer all of the roles before swapping out a server, transfer them to the new one before swapping out the remaining DC. Is this correct?
4. When we swap out the first DC is it as simple as running dcpromo and the AD info will be synchronised onto the new server? I'm assuming there will be some manual work involved.
5. What are we missing? My colleague and I have both built several domain controllers but have not done as hardware swap. This will be a learning experience for both of us.
Thanks in advance for your input.