For some reason my Exchange 2000 box won't get past "applying computer settings" in my 2003 domain unless the 'old' 2000 DC is also active. SA fails to start up and the event viewer is chock full of vague errors.
Some background....Planning a migration to 2003, Exchange and Domain. I've set up a lab to test. I've copied my production AD and EX databases (a couple of small ones). After some heartache, the 2000 domain environment worked like a charm. I then successfully migrated the domain to 2003 and the following are done:
- Delt with the Exchange mangled attributes bug and THEN ran adprep from the 2003 disc.
- transferred all the roles to the new 2003 DC. it is now the Operations Master. Confirmed with a clean DCDIAG + NETDIAG and AD Domains & Trusts GUI....FRS is good to go. Event Viewer is clean.
- made the 2003 DC a GC and removed GC from the 2000 DC after waiting about 30 minutes.
- Unauthorized DHCP on the 2000 DC
- modified the Recipient Update Services in Exchange to point to the new 2003 DC Operations Master (OM)
- Changed the Directory Access in the server properties of Exchange to point to ONLY the new 2003 DC.
- Reinstalled the 2000 ADC on the 2003 DC. Didn't make much sense to use the 2003 ADC since i'm at that point yet.
The Exchange 2000 box will only boot if the 'old' 2000 DC is up. If i turn it off, it won't come up. If i dcpromo the 2000 box, Exchange STILL won't come up. Site name, ORG name, etc... is all the same in the ADC when comparing the 2003 ADC to the 2000 ADC. ADSI edit confirmed LDAPname... the same as my production environment which is why the Store even came up...I understand that Exchange cannot be 'moved' to a new domain, but this is the SAME domain, only upgraded. Am i doomed with a Microsoft bug forcing me to rebuild the impossible (for me anyway)? Or am i lucky and just missed a step? I have until Friday to present my migration plan...God i love I.T.!