Cannot convert between unicode and non-unicode string data types (SSIS 2005)

I have an Excel Source component hooked to an OLE DB Destination component in my SSIS 2005 Data Flow Task.  After I mapped the excel columns to the OLE DB table columns i get these errors below.  I noticed that for the first error, the Excel Field format (when you mouse over the column name in the mappings section in OLE DB component) is of type [DTWSTR] and the corresponding SQL field from my SQL table that it's mapping to is of type [DT_STR] when mousing over that field in the mappings in the properties of my OLE DB component.  All table fields in SQL Server for the table I'm inserting into are of type varchar

TITLE: Package Validation Error
------------------------------

Package Validation Error

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Error at Data Flow Task [OLE DB Destination [27]]: Columns "Commission Agency" and "CommissionAgency" cannot convert between unicode and non-unicode string data types.

Error at Data Flow Task [OLE DB Destination [27]]: Column "Product" cannot convert between unicode and non-unicode string data types.

Error at Data Flow Task [OLE DB Destination [27]]: Columns "Officer Code" and "OfficerCode" cannot convert between unicode and non-unicode string data types.

Error at Data Flow Task [OLE DB Destination [27]]: Columns "Agency Name" and "AgencyName" cannot convert between unicode and non-unicode string data types.

Error at Data Flow Task [OLE DB Destination [27]]: Columns "Agency Id" and "AgencyID" cannot convert between unicode and non-unicode string data types.

Error at Data Flow Task [OLE DB Destination [27]]: Columns "Tran Code" and "TranCode" cannot convert between unicode and non-unicode string data types.

Error at Data Flow Task [OLE DB Destination [27]]: Columns "User Id" and "UserID" cannot convert between unicode and non-unicode string data types.

Error at Data Flow Task [OLE DB Destination [27]]: Columns "Acct Number" and "AccountNumber" cannot convert between unicode and non-unicode string data types.

Error at Data Flow Task [DTS.Pipeline]: "component "OLE DB Destination" (27)" failed validation and returned validation status "VS_ISBROKEN".

Error at Data Flow Task [DTS.Pipeline]: One or more component failed validation.

Error at Data Flow Task: There were errors during task validation.

 (Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration)

LVL 1
dba123Asked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Brian CroweDatabase AdministratorCommented:
you either need to CAST or set your destination fields to nvarchar
0
SireesCommented:
String conversion errors can be resolved by changing char columns to nchar and varchar columns to nvarchar in SQL2005.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

dba123Author Commented:
as soon as I changd from varchar to nvarchar in my sql table it was fine!
0
dba123Author Commented:
I mean nchar....
0
Brian CroweDatabase AdministratorCommented:
wow...i wish i had suggested something like that
0
bruceshiningCommented:
Conversion to nvarchar is not the only way.  The problem I was having is that converting to DT_STR was failing (as red unaccepted text)... until I converted it with as cast like:  (DT_STR, 50, 1292).
After doing the cast my data migrated to a varchar column just fine.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft SQL Server

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.