• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 451
  • Last Modified:

Extended characters not translated properly using ADO

I have a Visual Basic (6.0 SP6) application using ADO (2.7) to connect to a Sybase database (12.5).  The application recently upgraded to be run on a Windows XP (SP1) environment, using the Sybase ODBC 5.00.00.56 driver.   Doing a regular SELECT statement, if the field contains an extended character, for example: café, when I look at the ADO Recordset, the text comes back as cafÅ.

We did not have this problem running the same application on Windows 2000, using Sybase ODBC driver 3.60.00.21.

People are saying that it's a codeset issue, but I'm thinking it's an ODBC driver issue.   Has anyone faced this issue before, and what can be done to resolve it?

The worst case scenario is that I force the text to convert the extended characters properly, but that's the last thing I want to do.

Thanks in advance,
Robert
0
TitoBob
Asked:
TitoBob
1 Solution
 
TitoBobAuthor Commented:
After digging through several newsgroups, I found a fix:  Changing the charset of my ODBC DSN to iso_1.

Admin, please close out this question.

Thanks!
0
 
leonstrykerCommented:
Please post to the Community Support TA and ask for a refund.
0
 
CetusMODCommented:
PAQed with points refunded (500)

CetusMOD
Community Support Moderator
0

Featured Post

Hire Technology Freelancers with Gigs

Work with freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely, and get projects done right.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now