RESTORE MASTER DB in SQL 2000
Posted on 2006-04-07
Do not know SQL at all so assume that part of my problem is ignorance on the topic that is making me misinterpret documentation. The only person with SQL background is on vacation. HELP! I need to restore the master db from a backup before I can put production databases back online for users.
1. I know I need to start SQL in single-user-mode, but when I run the DOS command it returns the info I've copied and pasted below, BUT it never goes back to the DOS prompt as if it wasn't quite finished.
2. After 30 minutes of no activity, I give up on waiting for the DOS prompt and open Enterprise Manager but it returns this error: A connection could not be established to SSD-SQL. Reason: Login failed for user MY-DOMAIN\Administrator. Reason: Server is in single user mode. Only one administrator can connect at this time. Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties by right-clicking the node and try again.
3. This is a new install of SQL to replace failed hardware. All production databases were detached and moved to the new server before installing SQL. The master was backed up to a drive on the new server. Production databases have been reattached successfully. All we need is to restore the backedup master.
4. Once I get past starting SQL in single-user mode and can access it with Enterprise Manager, I will also need a step-by-step explanation of how to do the restore.
5. High points due to urgency. SQL has been down for 3 days!
E:\MSSQL\Binn>sqlservr.exe -c -m
2006-04-07 08:18:58.25 server Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.194 (Intel X8
Aug 6 2000 00:57:48
Copyright (c) 1988-2000 Microsoft Corporation
Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)
2006-04-07 08:18:58.25 server Copyright (C) 1988-2000 Microsoft Corporation.
2006-04-07 08:18:58.25 server All rights reserved.
2006-04-07 08:18:58.25 server Server Process ID is 4032.
2006-04-07 08:18:58.27 server Logging SQL Server messages in file 'e:\MSSQL\l
2006-04-07 08:18:58.27 server SQL Server is starting at priority class 'norma
l'(2 CPUs detected).
2006-04-07 08:18:58.34 server SQL Server configured for thread mode processin
2006-04-07 08:18:58.34 server Using dynamic lock allocation.  Lock Bloc
ks,  Lock Owner Blocks.
2006-04-07 08:18:58.39 server Attempting to initialize Distributed Transactio
2006-04-07 08:19:00.44 spid4 Warning ******************
2006-04-07 08:19:00.44 spid4 SQL Server started in single user mode. Updates
allowed to system catalogs.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.44 spid4 Starting up database 'master'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.50 server Using 'SSNETLIB.DLL' version '8.0.194'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.50 spid5 Starting up database 'model'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.50 spid4 Server name is 'SSD-SQL'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.52 spid7 Starting up database 'msdb'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.52 spid8 Starting up database 'pubs'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.52 spid9 Starting up database 'Northwind'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.53 spid10 Starting up database 'Snohomish SD'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.53 spid11 Starting up database 'AeXNS'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.53 spid12 Starting up database 'AeXNS_Helpdesk'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.55 spid13 Starting up database 'DKADatabase'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.55 spid14 Starting up database 'eXpress'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.59 spid5 Clearing tempdb database.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.59 spid8 Starting up database 'ITAssist'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.63 spid9 Starting up database 'MailMeter'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.63 spid7 Starting up database 'MSProject'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.63 spid10 Starting up database 'MSProjSQL2003'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.66 spid13 Recovery is checkpointing database 'DKADatabase
2006-04-07 08:19:00.70 spid13 Starting up database 'InTouch_Sno'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.70 spid8 Starting up database 'portal'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.72 spid11 Starting up database 'ProjectServer'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.74 spid7 Starting up database 'SharePointPortal_Config_d
2006-04-07 08:19:00.75 spid5 Starting up database 'tempdb'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.78 spid13 Analysis of database 'InTouch_Sno' (16) is 100%
complete (approximately 0 more seconds)
2006-04-07 08:19:00.78 spid8 Starting up database 'SPS01_Config_db'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.81 spid7 Starting up database 'ssd-altiris_LM_W3SVC_5572
2006-04-07 08:19:00.83 spid13 Starting up database 'STS_ssd-portal_1'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.86 spid10 Starting up database 'STS_ssd-portal_2023571034
2006-04-07 08:19:00.88 spid8 Starting up database 'STS_ssd-share_1'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.89 spid7 Starting up database 'STS_ssd-share_686140274'.
2006-04-07 08:19:00.94 server SQL server listening on Shared Memory, Named Pi
2006-04-07 08:19:00.94 server SQL Server is ready for client connections
2006-04-07 08:19:00.97 spid8 Starting up database 'AeXNS_Incidents'.
2006-04-07 08:19:01.03 spid8 Starting up database 'Training1_PROF'.
2006-04-07 08:19:01.09 spid11 Starting up database 'Training1_SERV'.
2006-04-07 08:19:01.11 spid8 Starting up database 'Training1_SITE'.
2006-04-07 08:19:02.63 spid9 Analysis of database 'MailMeter' (13) is 100% c
omplete (approximately 0 more seconds)
2006-04-07 08:19:12.39 spid4 Recovery complete.