I have a Dell Precision M70 laptop with XP Pro. The video card is NVIDIA Quadrox FX Go1400. I want to be able to connect to a TV to watch downloaded movies and to display family pictures. For the latter, I need to output simultaneously to the TV and the screen, so I can sequentially select the files I want to display. I connect to the TV using a single cable that runs audio and video. I have reprinted below the instructions from the M70 Users Manual for TV display. (It assumes a GeForce instead of a Quadro video card.) The NVIDIA manager (in control panel), when I am connected to a TV, allows me to select either the laptop or the TV as the primary output device while the other is designated "secondary." If I designate the TV as primary, I lose all output to the laptop, so I can't select files to display. Moreover, if I disconnect the s-video cable, I still have no output to the laptop. I can't even logoff. For example, Ctrl/Alt/Delete will not bring me a shutdown option. The Fn/F8 key will toggle between CRT/LCD but that does not appear to work as a TV/laptop switch. Is there a way to do this?
Enabling the Display Settings for a TV in Microsoft® Windows® XP
NVIDIA Video-Controller Card
NOTE: Ensure that you properly connect the TV before you enable the display settings.
1. Click the Start button and click Control Panel.
2. Click Appearances and Themes.
3. Under or pick a Control Panel icon, click Display.
4. Click the Settings tab and click Advanced.
5. Click the Nvidia GeForce tab.
6. On the left side of the menu, click nView Display Mode.
7. Click Clone to enable the television.
8. Click Apply.
9. Click OK to confirm the settings change.
10. Click Yes to keep the new settings.
11. Click OK.