I have just performed an SBS 2003 migration over the weekend for a client. They were running SBS 2000 and I installed a new server and followed the MS migration process to SBS 2003. Towards the end of the process, I began having problems with two users PC’s (Windows XP Professional). When they logon, I get the “Applying local settings” screen for a very long time. Around 20 minutes on the one PC. If I unplug the network cable, the desktop will finish logging in within a few more seconds, so it seems it is definitely waiting for something to time out on the network.
I had just uninstalled Trend AV from the desktops shortly before this, not sure if it could be related or not. I also had made some changes to group policy, to allow user configuration of the windows firewall. Thinking that something may have been messed up in the Group policy, I tried running “Dcgpofix” and then “Gpupdate /force” to reset that. I have also found occurrences of event 1054 in the application log, which seem to indicate DNS problems. I can do a DNS lookup to the server, both forward and reverse, and can do the same from the server back to the workstation. I have deleted the A and reverse lookup record and then ipconfig /release, icpconfig /renew from the workstation, but that event is still logged. Then I discovered that the problem seems to be with the user account, not the PC. The same user has the same problem from other PC’s, where other users do not. I have compared the user account properties to a working user, and haven’t found any differences. I have also added one of the two messed up users to Domain Admins, to see if it could be related to permissions. It did not seem to help either. I am not sure what to try next.