Integral notations..

What does it mean for the integral to have a lower limit, but no upper limit?

Is there a difference between having [for example] the lower limit directly below the integral sign, rather than slightly in front?

I've seen multiple integral signs next to each other, and there is what appears to be a single lower limit for _all_ of them (this 'lower limit' is centered along the bottom, of these signs). Does this just mean the 'nth' integral of y, with a lower limit of 'whatever' ?

I've also seen integral signs with circles on their 'belly' (I think I made that term up... I'm sure you know what I mean though). What does this mean? What does it mean for a group of integral signs to be 'sharing' one of these circles ?
...I think I read something about it meaning the magnitude of the result -- so, the positive value.. or something.. ?

LVL 25
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Harisha M GEngineerCommented:

1) Sometimes, upper limit is taken as infinity, or in some other cases, it denotes the other variable's value
2) No
3) No, it means the integral is to be carried for each variable given, in the order the differentials (dx, dy etc) appear
4) That is circular or contour integration, which means that the whole applicable values must be taken into account. It is generally used for area and volumes


Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Harisha M GEngineerCommented:
Probably, you are misunderstanding the meaning..

Sometimes, the double integral over x and y is written as below.. (which means integral over the area)

⌡⌡ f(x,y) . dA

and x, y and z as

⌡⌡⌡f(x,y,z) . dV

which are same as

⌡⌡ f(x,y) . dx dy
x y


⌡⌡⌡f(x,y,z) . dx dy dz
x y z

PS: Hope the characters get printed properly :)

Harisha M GEngineerCommented:
Harisha M GEngineerCommented:
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Math / Science

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.