I am putting together a screensaver. To do this, I am using VB.NET and when I tried to install it on an old PC the following happened:
1. It asked for .NET framework v1.1.4322 (I guessed this would happen - is there no way around this?)
2. I downloaded the .NET framework and the only version I could get was v2.0 (Can I distribute this with the software?)
3. Installed this version and went to install it. It then asked for MS Installer v3.0.
4. Back to MS website, d/l it and installed it. (Can I distribute this with my app?) The installation went fine. Restarted computer
5. Back to .NET framework v2.0. Installed it without a problem.
6. Went back to the installer and it asked for .NET v1.1.4322 and it refused to continue, even though v2.0 was correctly installed.
OK - apart from the 3 embedded questions:
a. Can you make the installer .NET version independent?
b. Can you use VB.NET without the framework at all if you only use simple functionality?
c. Can you make the installer .NET framework with a minimum version? If not, what happens for the next upgrade? I would need to recompile and that just doesn't make sense?
Hoping to get some good answers to this one.