Network Cable

Hi There,
          I have existing network with Router --(1)--> Pix 501 --(2)--> Lan switch, which cable connect (1) & (2).
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

I would say that the cable would be an Ethernet Crossover cable between the Router and the PIX since they are like devices.

MDI ports connect to MDIX ports via straight-through twisted pair cabling; both MDI-to-MDI and MDIX-to-MDIX connections use crossover twisted pair cabling.

It can be verified (if you can remove the cable to look at both ends) by holding both connectors next to each other, pointing in the same direction, and looking at the colors of the wires. If you hold both connectors pointing away from you, pins 1,2 will be to your left. If both connectors have orange/white on 1,2, you have a straight through cable. If one has orange/white and the other is green/white it is a crossover.


It doesn't really matter whether you use a straigt or an crossover cable, as the pix supports auto-MDI(X) so will detect an crossover-cable and will adjust the port when needed.
Is that true of the outside interface?  It looks like he would be using that from his diagram.

From the PIX data sheet.

Console Port: RS-232, 9600 bps, RJ-45
Outside: Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet port, auto-negotiate (half/full duplex), RJ-45
Inside: Integrated auto-sensing, auto-MDIX 4-port 10/100 Fast Ethernet switch, RJ-45

Your are correct that it would do auto-mdix on the inside ports.



Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Hmm, you're right grsteed....

Anyway, in that case it depends on the router-port. If the router is a multi-pc, it probably has an onboard switch, meaning that the cable should be crossed. If it is a router without switch, it is hard to tell which cable need to be used. Especially since some soho-routers have an MDI-X port by default.

So I don't know the length of (1) and (2), but if they are of equal length, I suggest buying one straight and one crossed cable. Connect (1) first and if there's no link, try the other cable. Once (1) is connected, use the other cable for (2).

(Or simply tell us the brand and model of your router)
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Networking Hardware-Other

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.