In a Lab enviroment I have one 2003 DC and one file server. The DC is running DNS and WINS.
The file server has a name of server_test. I want to rename the server to servertest but create a NETBIOS alias so the server could still be referenced by either name either through a UNC or if you browse network neighbourhood you would see both server names.
To achive this I did the following :
1. renamed the server to servertest.
2. Applied a Static Mapping, (unique), to WINS for the name server_test
3. Followed Micrsoft KB article 281308, "Connecting to SMB share on a Windows 2000-based computer or a Windows Server 2003-based computer may not work with an alias name". http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281308
However, I've obviously got it wrong somewhere along the line because :
1. I cannot see both server_test and servertest when you browse network neighbourhood - is this possible ? However I can do Find Computer server_test, (the alias name), and it does resolve on all the XP clients in the LAB.
2. I can map UNC connections to the alias name etc without any problems.
What did I do wrong its very important I get this right should server_test not appear as a PC icon in Network Neighbourhood ?